Properties of Moxibustion
Moxibustion is a natural therapy used to treat various pathologies, especially health problems related to environmental factors. In it, Moxa cigars made of dried leaves are used to apply heat to the meridians and acupuncture points.
This therapeutic technique is based on the energy circulation network of Traditional Chinese Medicine and is very helpful in stimulating blood flow and energy (Qi).
Benefits and properties of Moxibustion
The Moxa cigars used in Moxibustion are manufactured with dried and powdered leaves of Artemisa Vulgaris (artemega, St. John's wort). It is a plant that, when dried, has a special characteristic. It is the only fuel body that has no flame and can cause an infrared emission with stimulating properties.
Moxibustion is indicated for various conditions . The most important are arthritis, asthma, bronchitis, muscle contractures, spinal deformities, diarrhea, constipation, hemorrhoids, incontinence, lumbago, gastric problems, pneumonia, fluid retention, urogenital disorders.
Moxibustion application methods
There are different methods of application of the moxibustion treatment . There are also various schools of traditional Chinese medicine, which use moxa differently.
The acupuncturist or moxibustion expert is the one who chooses the method according to the desired effect. There are even modern devices that generate heat and are applied to the body emulating the effects of moxa.
The methods used in Moxibustion are:
- Pure de moxa : is to burn a cigar of moxa near the acupuncture point.
- Moxa cones : a cone made of moxa is applied directly to the skin by removing it before it burns. It is used for toning or dispersion.
- Moxa cones with garlic : it is made by placing a slice of garlic between the skin and the moxa cone. It is especially indicated as an antiseptic, for infectious processes or pathologies caused by external agents.
- Ginger moxa cones : applied by placing a slice of ginger between the skin and the moxa cone. This technique has a technical, revitalizing effect and promotes the circulation of blood and energy.
- Moxa with salt: in the technique of moxa with salt the patient's navel is filled with fine salt and a moxa cone is placed on top. This application is used to regulate the lower energy of the abdomen and promote the health of the organs of that area.
- Moxibustion box : this is a metal or wooden box used to place and turn on the moxa. This box is then applied to the lower back or abdomen to give heat.
- Moxa in acupuncture : In acupuncture, moxa is used to place it on the needle handle. In this way, heat strengthens the effect generated on the points.
Uses of Moxibustion
This technique has been used since ancient times to treat various health problems, especially to strengthen the immune system . According to the Ministry of Health of China, it is especially indicated for the first attention in cases of urgency and acute pathologies.
The uses of moxibustion are, however, very varied and each of the application methods is used to relieve a large number of ailments. Even Taoism throughout Chinese medical astrology has used moxibustion for longevity.
Without a doubt, here you have a new and at the same time very old therapy that has proved to be very useful for humans to improve our health, both physical and psychological. A good way to take advantage of natural medicine without invasive methods.
Seen in Health Therapy, by Pedro, editor of the Great White Brotherhood